Sunday, November 15, 2009

Quick, Easy, Yummy Meal for Busy Moms

My good friend Rebecca had my group of girlfriends from high school over a few weeks ago for yummy cheese tortellini soup, salad and chaos. We all brought along our kids, ranging in ages from in-utero to seven. We thought we'd gab while the kiddos played but that is not at all how it went down. Next time, Daddies will be on duty.

Anyways, I loved her cheese tortellini soup but I failed to ask for the recipe. I wanted this a few nights ago and decided to make up my own.

Here's my ingredients minus a diced onion, two diced celery stalks and some diced carrots.
(I ended up doubling the Chicken Broth).

Why are they still selling frozen food in boxes? Does anyone else think this is circa 1973? It makes me think the frozen food is really old. Those cheese torts are found in the frozen food section, too.

Directions -
In a stock pot, melt 2-3TBLSP of butter and throw in your onions, carrots & celery (add some pepper). Let them sweat it out until soft. Dump the 2 Chicken broths, diced tomatoes and white beans into a stock pot, bring to a boil. Then add the box of spinach and bag of cheese torts. Boil for another 3 minutes or so and then let simmer for maybe 5-7 minutes. Taste test & add any seasonings you deem necessary - I added lots of black pepper (you will not need salt unless you prefer swollen ankles). Serve with crusty bread and Parmesan cheese on top.

So, this makes a lot - we each took leftovers to lunch the next day and then I froze the rest. I would say you will have 8-10 servings. You could half this easily but I didn't have any gallon ziplocs to put the leftover spinich and tortellinis in.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm making this sometime this week!