Monday, August 2, 2010

Sanity Vaction 2010

It's no secret to anyone in our lives that the past 10 months have been extremely challenging on our little family. I think we did pretty good until the end :)

People (usually those with the dramatic tendencies - ahem, me) sometimes exclaim, "I need a vacation!" but in our case, we really did. We've gone off for weekends away but haven't really made it a priority to give ourselves one on one time since our Honeymoon five years ago.

We needed a Sanity Vacation and we had simple criteria: beach, books, bed. At first I was researching little cabana/casitas in Tulum, Mexico that were completely off the grid - no electricity sounded like heaven to me (i.e. Leave me alone & don't try to contact me). When you get hot, the ocean is right there. When the sun sets, you go to bed and when it comes up the next day, you wake up. I would love to go to one of the places I found on my own sometime. I think it would be heaven.

In the end, we decided on an adults-only, all-inclusive resort in Tulum.   For 6 whole days in early June, we woke up and headed to the beach where we stayed each day until dusk.  I read several books, broke out my vintage U2 iPod (it surprisingly still works), and took naps!  Naps, people!  Breaks in the day!  I haven't slept as good as I slept in Tulum since Sept. of 2008, just before I got pregnant.  It was amazing.

The staff was exceptional and brought us tons of drinks.  Upon my return a co-worker informed me that the phrase I had used repeatedly for Pepsi refills, "Bebe Frescas", was not, in fact, the term used for cold drink.  Oops.  At least I mastered 'Cerveza'. To snorkel, we just headed out in the ocean and join the docked Snorkel Boats hanging out straight from the resort.  It was a fabulous time and did I mention? - the.best.sleep I have had in at least two years.

Here are some pics (sorry there's not more but this is seriously all we did for 6 days):



Jon mastered the art of hammocking


Us, Day 1

View at 7am

We made it 5 years but I'm not so sure year 4 should count....
Posted by Picasa

No comments: