Monday, August 10, 2009

We Work All Day for This

How Mack ended up such a poor sleeper, I'll never know - he certainly didn't inherit that trait from his mom. You see, I have what is called a burrow. My best friend Heather brought this to my (and everyone else's) attention around the 9th grade. I sleep by burrowing under the covers, just barely sticking out my eyes and nose for fresh air. This sleep position maximizes the hours you are actually able to stay asleep - it's a pretty complex science. I have topped out at around 18 hours sleeping this way (of course that includes jet lag, but still).

Mack, though. Yikes. Maybe it's the colic or the gas or the fight he had against cow's milk (I think we are winning that battle) but he is not such a hot sleeper. I thought babies were supposed to sleep hours at a time. Mack tops out at about 45-1 hour each nap during the day. Once we hit the 2:30pm to 3:00pm mark all bets are off and he is wide awake (and everyone knows it).

2:30pm to about 8pm is his witching hour, when the colic is at its maximum ear shattering volume. Things that help him calm down are basically nursing (but I don't think he's ingesting any milk, just sucking) and running the vacuum. And yes, we will run it from 2:30pm - 8pm if we have to.

At 8pm, we do a warm bath (usually with bubbles) which he is starting to enjoy more and more. It soothes whatever is going on in that tummy of his and we follow this with a big bottle or a good nursing session.

Tonight Jon prepare a fabulous steak dinner (of course we had to eat in shifts) and then gave Mack the second half of his bottle. I think Mack was ready to fall asleep - he's never fallen asleep on his own. He usually has to be rocked or sit in the swing.

Just look at that double chin - no doubt he is going to be big like his cousin James.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Bless your heart. We have had to really work with Jordan on the sleeping issues. Ug. It is so hard! Email me or facebook me if you want sleeping suggestions...I know that you might be getting too many suggestions and that can be really frustrating too. calvertr@cisdmail.com Little Mack looks so stinkin' cute sleepin' in that pic! I so need to meet him!